Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Kuli

My schedule in 2008 started to take on an even more hectic appearance than previous years. Along with the Tuesday, Wednesday and now Thursday cooking and serving food at universities, and the Thursday night classes at the yoga centre, we were also trying to push the sustainability network with different events during the week. This included late night movie screenings, weekend gardening workshops, cooking classes and more. Oh, and during this year I also managed to organise vegan cooking classes at MIT campus in Otara. All this on top of my personal studies, my management services (which were full-time on their own) and being involved in the yoga centre activities. It was a very busy year, and the most hectic of my life I think. And with the extreme busy-ness I started to find it increasing difficult to cope with the social dynamics around me, especially what I perceived as the incompetence of both the younger monks and the leadership, both of whom would constantly approach me, even after I had gone to be, with what I saw as simple questions that anyone should be able to answer. It was stressful. What friendships did exist during that time within the monastery were stretched to the limits. I did yell or snap a number of times, just frustrated that I couldn't walk through the house without being approached from all angles with people asking me where the salt was, why the computer was typing in ALL CAPITALS, or if I knew of a good remedy for their health ailments. At the same time my constant work was being ignored to the point where some people actually openly admitted that they thought I was wasting too much time because I wasn't distributing books.

In April 2008 our monastery received a some emotional softness in the form of a very kind and gentle monk. This young monk had grown up in the Hare Krishna movement, living from the age of about 4 or 5 in a Hare Krishna school in India. He always smiled, and his eyes almost always looked like he was about to cry because of compassion for other people. In fact, during his month-long stay with us I witnessed his eyes brim with tears on many occasions.

I had a short break in my university schedule during this monks visit, which meant that for about two weeks we were the only two at home in the monastery during the day. He was a very heart felt monk, who had seen EVERYTHING in his time as a devotee. He had a lot of insight into the dynamics of our monastery. All of the observations I have made in here were identified by him as well. He saw the harsh treatment, and the lack of respect, and the struggles of the management and leadership. He discussed how he worried about certain devotees because of their behaviour. One devotee was renowned for chanting so fast, though he actually seldom verbalised the entire mantra he was meant to chant. Many times he would just repeat the same word 9 times, moving his beads regardless. Our little visiting monk found this to be very worrisome.

If you have ever spent time with Indians, you will probably know that they are a bit more comfortable about issues surrounding their personal space than most westerners are. When you meet up with an Indian, they will often shake your hand and continue holding your hand while you discuss things. For the western mind this often creates an awkward moment. You want to pull your hand away, but you aren't sure what to do. It never bothered me much, but I used to watch a lot of westerners squirm their way through the situation. Our visiting monk was very reliant on physical contact while discussing issues. He and I developed a close friendship while he was staying with us, and as we talked we would often be holding hands, sometimes embracing and cuddling. That was how he operated. And sometimes, when we discussed difficult personal issues between the two of us, the physical contact helped calm the pain.

My visiting monk friend had been through some very difficult times in his life. Hare Krishna schools do not have the best track record, at least not in the old model that ran the schools. There was a lot of nasty behaviour going on within those boarding schools, both carried out by the teachers, principles and by the students and residents. There was physical assault, sexual assault and extreme emotional bullying. My friend, being the runt of the school, felt the brunt of this misbehaviour. He was never once bitter about it, but nor was he willing to dismiss what had gone on within those school walls. Although I was well aware of this situation before meeting my friend, hearing him describe things, and seeing the reactions he was experiencing made it all the more real and heart wrenching for me.

We would also discuss difficult points of philosophy. There are occasional philosophical controversies which would arise in the Krishna consciousness community, and I made a point of studying the arguments and counter arguments when I had the chance to, so that I could understand what the official line was for our movement. But I seldom met a devotee who understood the implications of many of these arguments. My visiting friend was one such person, so we would discuss the ins and outs of these issues. In some areas we disagreed, and continued to disagree after discussing them, other times we both shed knew light on the subject, and coloured our previous standpoints with a bit more grey than we entered with. Even when in heated debates about the origin of the soul and the implications of that issue on the overall process and philosophy, we were still holding hands or cuddling on the floor.

I discussed with him my pains at losing Suzy, and how it made me feel. He talked about his dissatisfaction over the issue that his previous principle, who he had witnessed carry out so many deviant activities over the years was still held in high regard within the community. We would chant Gayatri together, and sign kirtan. For me, it was both a period of spiritual inspiration AND a time of deep reflection on issues within our community, as well as becoming more honest about our own personal lacks and strengths.

My monk friend told me he was planning on leaving the monastic life. We said that he had always wanted to head towards a family life situation, getting married and continuing on with life in that way. We discussed the issue many times. The real reason he was with us was because he had brought his wish up to his authorities, and it was decided that he just needed some time away to get his thoughts together, and then he would continue on as a monk. I can attest that it is not exactly as easy thing to leave the monastic life behind, primarily because of the social structures in place to keep monks there.

I discussed my own realisations with him. I acknowledged that I was feeling so many different desires for things in my life which I didn't think could be restrained much longer by the confines of the monastery walls. I wanted to make the world a better place, and I was having doubts that Krishna consciousness was able to do that. I told him that I loved to study the scriptures and learn the philosophy, and I loved the things I was doing at the universities, and that I wanted to stay a monk for those reasons, because having a simple life meant that I would be able to focus on reading the books, and putting all my effort into my cooking for university events, and organising dynamic sustainability projects. He pointed out to me, rather starkly, that I hadn't picked up a book for the past three days that we had chatted together, so he doubted my sincerity regarding my love for studying. I realised he was right. Actually, my taste for studying had started to decrease, primarily because of the fact I felt I struggled to have faith in the scriptures as a whole, something I may get around to discussing at a later time.

His visit solidified a number of things for me. It increased my realisation that I had been neglecting my emotional side for a very long time. It reminded me of the importance of being physically comforted when dealing with difficult emotions. It made me question more and more my motives for staying in the monastery, and for staying in Krishna consciousness in general. It made me view the overall philosophy less and less as a black and white issue, and instead with many shades of grey. For the first time I felt like I actually had a deep heart connection with someone within the Krishna community who I could talk to about whatever needed airing. His visit gave me such a mental relief for that one month.

When he left to go back to his home temple, I missed his association greatly. My stresses quickly overwhelmed me again, and I started to struggle even more when dealing with the perceived incompetence of those around me. The management team was starting to drive me nuts with the hour long meetings to make decisions which were overturned by a single member of the management team a few hours later. I was sick of telling devotees again and again not to ruin the accounting systems by spending money from book sales before accounting for it. There were so many stresses. I just felt tense at all times that I was in the monastery, because I knew it was only a matter of seconds before someone would approach me with a complaint or a question which anyone should have been able to answer for them, or they probably could have figured out on their own if they had actually bothered to think about it first. It was driving me nuts. Even now, as I type this and remember how I felt during that time I can feel my body heat up in frustration. I remember that feeling all the time, almost wincing whenever I heard someone call my name. Now that I remember, the reason my reading first started to suffer was because I couldn't get through half a page without someone approaching me and asking me some insane question about something. If I wanted to read I had to do it while everyone was out of the monastery, but that was also the only time I had to catch up on my management services uninterrupted. It was a mad time for me.

Because of this madness and extreme stress, when I did manage to get away from it all, during my trip to Hamilton sometime around May, I felt my body completely collapse like someone cutting the strings which held up a marionette. Only my strings were the strings of stress. Hamilton was also the home of several of friends who I felt very indebted to for their support in my pre-Krishna years. I would probably not be alive without them I don't think, and I wanted to touch base with them again, I didn't want to risk losing another friend to the cruel hands of death without at least letting them know that I was grateful for their friendship. My visit to Hamilton opened my eyes to a lot of things about myself and my situation, and my return from Hamilton was the time I tried hardest to be honest about them all,

9 comments:

  1. The actual Vedic system is that all males from the twice-born classes spend some time living in the family of the guru (literally: gurukula). We see this with Krishna living with Sandipani Muni, his son Sudama, and Sandipani Muni's wife, who doesn't get an explicit mention, but we know the wife of the guru is one of the seven mothers, and Manu Samhita proscribes allowing the young wife of the guru to massage your body with oil, and prescribes some hellish punishment for sleeping with the wife of the guru.

    After that experience of living as part of the faimly of the guru, with all the transmission of values and formative experience that it entails, 95% of people go on to marry. Note also that the experience is time bound. According to the ideal expressed in Manu Samhita, it is 5-25. Only a very small percentage of people do not marry and continue on as naisthika brahmacaris.

    Contrast this with the current ISKCON implementation:

    Do not live in a family situation, but rather in a monastery.
    Often no senior person (certainly not on the level of a father figure).
    No time bounding of the situation.
    An expectation that the norm is to continue forever, and anything is failure.

    In the Vedic situation the norm is to sign up for a specific period, then get honorable discharge. Re-enlisting is the exception.

    So there are some significant differences between ISKCON's present implementation and "Vedic" culture.

    The present setup was instituted by Srila Bhaktisiddhanta, himself a naisthika brahmacari, and actually more closely resembles Sankaracarya's setup, which in turn was a hijacking of the Buddhist setup in his time. In fact, Sripad Sankaracarya was accused by some Vedic contemporaries as being a "crypto-Buddhist".

    I think these things might help realign the system better:

    * Make brahmacarya time-bound. You sign up for 1,2, or 3 year stints.
    * Make the default expectation that people will marry - re-enlisting is the exception, and you have to convince them that it's what you should do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Reverse Delegation" is a standard feature of mannagement in ISKCON. H.H. Hanumat-presaka Swami clued me into it when I was placed in charge of a temple, ashram, and restaurant in Peru. The way it works is that you become the leader, and suddenly you are responsible for everything.

    Tri-yuga once observed that devotees have low agency [ see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agency_(philosophy) ]. This is partly due to philosophy, and partly due to the interpretation of the philosophy, where you have to surrender control to a superior authority. That's attractive to some people, because they can stop thinking, they can stop being responsible for their life. Of course, if you happen to be the guy who *is* responsible, you cop everything.

    It doesn't have to be that way though. A Krishna Conscious community *can* emphasize individual empowerment and responsibility. It's a culture of leadership.

    I wonder if CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) is somehow related to high levels of control and low levels of agency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in the process of leaving the asrama, there was a discussion started about making brahmacaris sign up for 2 years at a time, with the option to re-enlist every two years. I think that would probably be beneficial for the asrama, but without the cultural shift behind it I'm not certain it would be effect. I think it would be difficult for the expectation of marriage to be implanted into the current culture.

    I definitely agree with the low agency observation. I think there might also be a link between CFS and having to do all the thinking for everyone else around you. It's very exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sitapati

    First things first, ISKCON was established by Srila Prabhupada and we as devotees would want to follow what he asked us to. Srila Prabhupada on countless occasions advised young men to take up to brahmacarya life and stay there forever and if possible take up sanyas. If you want to quote scriptures there are a million things you could do differently. For instance Srila Prabhupada reduced the number of rounds from 64 to 16, but then why dont devotees chant 64 rounds? because Srila Prabhupada being a pure devotee and a perfect representative of Krsna asked us to chnt 16.simple.

    Life would be way more easier if we simply follow Srila Prabhupada's advice without trying to make sense of the scriptures ourselves. Srila Prabhupada has presented the knowledge to us on a platter, we just have to accept it. He has not given us anything different from the "vedic" culture.

    What about the four Kumaras, who by the way are in the sampradaya wanted to remain brahmacaris all their life? There are tons of things in the scriptures that would just confuse us even more, what we can do is simply follow Srila Prabhupada. Everything is there in his books.

    secondly one is not expected to be in the asrama forever, whoever thinks otherwise has not understood the philosophy, period.
    Brahmacarya life is just a training, a preparation for what comes next and thats married life. Most of us do not have proper spiritual training, so its best to train ourselves before getting married. Instead of "signing up" devotees, like some kind of a club, better to spread the understanding that brahmacaris can leave when they want to and this by no means is a falldown.

    Bhakti Vikas Swami's book is like a bible for monastic life. Its reading should be mandatory for all devotees. It will clear all doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've allowed this reply this time, but this blog is not a medium for philosophical debates, so in the future I will not allow counter comments to be posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. xmikeyx, I think that's a good idea. Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura notes in his commentary on Upadeshamrita (Sri Bhaktyaloka) that debating arises from a desire for conquest.

    I'm always happy to hear people honestly and humbly share their personal experience and realisation, and that's why I am enjoying reading your account of the past years of your life.

    You don't portray your particular take on things as an absolute truth that others must accept as anything other than *your take on things*. I think that's healthy, and a mature approach. In fact, it's the very same approach that Krishna takes in Bhagavad-gita. I was surprised to read in Bg. 13.3: "That is my opinion." I asked Devamrita Swami about this early on, and he said: "Krishna is a person, He has opinions too!"

    And finally Krishna tells Arjuna, in 18.63: "yathecchasi tatha kuru" - "Do what you want".
    (I sometimes joke that this is the ultimate instruction of Bhagavad-gita, and actually - it is)

    Krishna seems less fanatical about the whole thing than some of His followers... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mikey

    I was in two minds before posting, but I do get your point and in future I will refrain from debating even if I do not agree with the posts. I understand that this is about your blog, your story and not some platform for philosophical debates.I usually avoid getting into internet debates. My apologies!

    By the way your observation of Indians is hilarious, especially the hand shake..hahahaha..

    Eagerly awaiting your next post!

    best,
    Ameya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the same note as the last post, it is a good point that Krishna says "do what you want" after 17 chapters of philosophy and explanation, etc... I've heard Bhakti Vijnana Maharaja say the same thing but he points out a lot of people use this as a license to do what they want in the name of religion, which is not necessarily what Krishna consciousness is about. So the point is "Thus I have explained to you knowledge still more confidential. Deliberate on this fully, and then do what you wish to do." - that we are using intelligence to come to our own conclusions.

    I find this point also relevant when trying to see this blog in perspective - this is about a guy who has heard it through - but more importantly lived it through for 8 years - and made a decision. This is his own conclusion. For me, a lot of the blog hits home and frustrates me that there isn't a lot getting done about it, or so it seems at least.

    But maybe this blog will bring about the changes needed, that in most places ISKCON has already dealt with 20 years ago. Otherwise we may as well just play Count the Casualties and Look in the Opposite Direction. The fact that one person's conclusion resonates with so many people, those still practicing and those who haven't or won't... Says a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mikey - all power to you bro... peace :) Kd

    ReplyDelete