Monday, March 8, 2010

Yeah, I know this isn't a proper update...

I know that I promised a number of people that I would get a new entry up today, but it just isn't gonna happen I'm afraid.

I've had a really busy weekend, and since getting my new computer I've spent a lot of my computer time getting it customized just to my likings. As a result, I just don't think I have the focus to write an update today.

Here's a quick run down of my weekend:

Friday I checked out a site where a new community garden is being set up in Mt. Albert. It looked pretty awesome! Then I arrived back home to find that my computer arrived, which was also awesome! After getting distracted by my computer for a little while I made my way into town to meet up with a friend to go to an anti-whaling protest. I was a bit late, as usual, but as it turned out the protest organisers were late also. The protest was a street theater style protest. We had an big inflatable whale that was being harpooned and cut up by the 'scientific researchers' while myself and other protesters handed out 'whale meat', which was actually nicely wrapped styrofoam covered in red paint stuff. The protest was outside the Japanese consulate.

After that, we went back to my friend house, and I pretty much just played on my new computer for a while. After that I made my way to another friends birthday party, but on the way to the bus I caught up with another friend I had planned to meet up with that day anyway. Her, one of her friends, and I spent two hours hanging out on the side of K road just chatting about so many interesting things. It was actually a lot of fun. Then I caught the bus to my little bros' place, did a few things on my computer, then headed to the birthday party. It was a chilled out and relaxed affair, but I enjoyed just hanging out and catching up with everyone there.

Saturday was a fundraiser vegan sausage sizzle for the animal rights op-shop we're setting up. Unfortunately I slept in a bit that day, and missed with the initial set-up. We were just down the road from Eden Park, selling sausages to the cricket fans going to see NZ get beaten by the Aussies. Sadly, we didn't do as well as we had hoped, and didn't actually cover our costs. We have loads of sausages left, which we'll selling at $13 a pack if anyone is keen and wants to help support the cause!

My parents came and picked me up around lunch time, and we went spent the afternoon together with the family. I went back to do some more work at the sausage sizzle in the evening, but we were still not the most successful. Then we went out for dinner with the family again, this time to Golden Age. We arrived a bit late, but that was alright. Because I ate a lot of sausages during the day, I wasn't so hungry. I just picked a bit here and there off everyone else's plate, had some pan fried dumplings, and ate some deepfried vegan ice cream, which was AWESOME!!!

We then took a trip to the Sky Tower, which was pretty cool late at night. When we arrived up the tower everyone was totally quiet up there, kinda like they were in awe or something, or else they were on romantic dates or something. My family just got up there and did what we always do, make fun of each other, and do silly things. We timed how long it took us to walk about the circumference of the thing. My mom freaked out whenever anyone walked over the glass floor section. We all used the toilet, just because of the novelty of using a toilet so high up in the building. We are a weird family for sure.

Today was my birthday. I'm old now. My parents came around a bit after ten, then we wasted a few hours at my brothers place. I was trying to install ubuntu on to my new computer, but failing. During the process I managed to pick up a virus on my computer, and also infect my little brother's. In the end though, we got rid of the virus, and late this evening I installed Ubuntu, which is cool.

Eventually we got ourselves together and went to Motat where we continued our family tradition of wandering around, making fun of each other and goofing off in a serious setting. The mirror maze was awesome. My dad freaked out in the space ship simulator ride, and stopped it after the first 30 seconds. Over all it was a successful visit. Then we went out to Wagamamas for lunch, after our other choices turned out to be failures. The Thai place I had hoped to go to was closed when we arrived, as was the other Japanese place. After lunch we went to the supermarket and bought a whole bunch of stuff. I got some chocolate, like heaps, as well as some basic supplies for the week so that I can actually eat food properly for once.

Then I arrived back home, tired, but pre-occupied with my computer. I've got it slowly setup how I want it, and I'm pretty much going to go to bed happy as a result.

The things I realised this weekend are that I'm really happy at the moment because of the awesome people I have around me, and because I am feeling at the moment that I can really be myself without worrying about anything. I am a very social person, even though I'm not a party character so much, and I'm really glad I have lots of people I can chat with and hang out with when I need to.

Anyway, I promise for reals this time that I will do a proper update tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment