Friday, April 16, 2010

Context is everything

On the day I left the Krishna community for good I remember saying to a friend of mine, "I hope you're ready for the roller-coaster ride". Obviously leaving a tight and closed community I had been part of for 7 years, which had been my primary, even sole, focus for a quarter of my life was going to involve a very rocky transition period. Of course, over 7 years there were good times and bad times, to deny either would be ignorant. And I am happy to accept and acknowledge my own personal shortcomings within that community, as well as acknowledge the shortcomings of the community itself. To ignore those would not be healthy at all.

I knew when I left the community that people within the community would need to reconcile my leaving in some way that allowed them to continue with faith and confidence in the religious community they wished to remain within. And when I started this blog, I also assumed that the members of this community would eventually also find a way to dismiss anything negative I had to say about my experiences within that community. And they certainly seem to have done that. Though perhaps in a way that I think has the potential to be rather negative, even destructive, for their community.

I think, when you take these two things into consideration you can understand why this has happened. I started writing this blog to explain to my wide range of friends what I've been up to over the years, and my reasons for leaving. I also started writing this blog as a way for me to deal with specifically the more negative experiences and impressions I had within the community, because, strictly speaking, these are the ones that are most negatively affecting me still, they are the ones which I found slowly eroded my usually high self confidence. Therefore, my blog had a certain mood to it. When you combine this mood with the tendency for a religious community to attack anything it sees as criticism, with increasing attacks depending on the nature of the perceived criticism, then it is no wonder this religious community has created an interesting illusion in order to dismiss the contents of this blog, and my personal description of my experiences within that community.

Despite this, when I was sent a link last week to blog by a prominent Hare Krishna leader I was still struck with surprise, and a bit of hurt, to read just how this community has gone about dismissing me. The full article can be read here, but below is the specific part of the blog which relates to me:
Recently, somewhere in the ISKCON world, in the southern hemisphere, a monk apprentice suddenly, without a word, departed the ashram for full material life, and then astonished his comrades by launching an Internet campaign of, shall we say, creative writing, depicting his brahmachari years as emotionally coerced suffering. Later he revealed to a lady devotee that prior to his devotee years, his gender inclinations had been elastic. Commonplace today, gender variables are no barrier to a bhakti practice, at home. An ashram, however, is a special niche. The brahmachari comrades of this former monk apprentice, still deeply valuing this person, were saddened more by the unnecessary stress and pain their friend had inflicted upon himself, than by the glaring lack of disclosure and interpersonal honesty. Hiding and bottling up such significant psycho-physical tendencies for some years popped the cork in such a regrettable and immature manner.
I plan to address the issues and claims of the above statement in a later blog update. Personally, I'm not willing to entirely speculate about the motives behind these statements. Nonetheless, I think it's fair to comment on the likely effects of such statements.

I do not think that my blog was/is an internet campaign to oppose something. I hope that it doesn't sound like my past 7 years were filled with emotionally coerced suffering. I do, however, think that my experience within the Krishna community has the potential to highlight some areas within that community which I feel that community needs to address if it is going to become an example of a healthy community. And the community has two options. It can either completely dismiss anything I have to say as being an angry internet campaign propagated by a closet sexual deviant. Or it can acknowledge in a humble way that perhaps things aren't 100% perfect and there are areas that need addressing. I think the fact that they have opted to instead take second/third hand conversations out of context, speculate upon that to come up with a fantastic tale of my real reasons for leaving the monastery and Krishna consciousness in general, and then laid this out for public airing is sad, and almost scary.

Another effect that a story like this has is that it make everyone start to second guess every interaction they have had with me in the past. How much of it was fueled by a 'repressed sexual identity'? The opportunity for people to speculate after being given a sudden surprise based on next to no real information or background, or even context, means that the doors are wide open to come up with a multitude of theories and speculations, all the while being distracted from the reality that the community is not sparkling clean and shiny, but has serious social issues to deal with, and a hierarchy of people who really don't have the qualities to occupy positions of power over every aspect of other people's lives. And I think this is a problem. It is also a symptom of an unhealthy community. Which in one sense is ironic. While trying to protect the community from a perceived risk of criticism, the community has instead risked making a spectacle of its inability to acknowledge any internal lackings.

But I think the average reader of this blog can make up their own minds about this based on what they have available to read.

The statement made in relation to me carries four specific claims I will deal with in my next blog update. Those are 1) that my blog is an internet campaign, 2) that my blog is an exercise in creative writing, or in other words that it is fictional, 3) that I have elastic gender inclinations, 4) that these elastic inclinations are something that I bottled up, struggle with for years, and eventually popped because of. I will probably work on my next update over the weekend, and into next week, so expect an update sometime early next week.

4 comments:

  1. When I read this Mikey, it made me feel really angry for you. What's frustrating is, unlike your blog, his blog gives no way to comment, which is so typical of the problems in their community. He can just make an allegation like that and everyone in the community will go along with it, like a bunch of pawns.And unlike your blog, he has not been open about how his own involvement or short-comings or that of his community might have contributed to you, myself and others leaving. He's made it clear, it's your fault and materialistic society's fault. He had nothing to do with it.

    For its own good, that community needs to start asking empowering questions like, is my guru perfect or can he, as we've seen above, make mistakes and act out of anger or other emotions? And does this make him any less worth following? And how to recognise and deal with his mistakes? I'm not trying to challenge or strip away his authority as a leader - so much of what he does is wonderful - but an openess to ask such questions will help to ensure that the community is operating in the clear light of day, not in a state of delusion caused by a culture of silence. Someone in that community reading this should be able to say, "Guru-Maharaja, I think you've made a mistake about why Mikey left and I think it would be good if you apologised." He should then honour such a question in an open and reflective way. I myself think he should apologise. I would have more respect for him if he did.

    Once, when I asked this same person about the social problems I was observing in his community, he responded tersely in his standard manner: "what social problems? There are no social problems." End of story. Period. Just in case someone misses the irony I will explain; to say there are no social problems IS a social problem. Habitual, institutional denial of the glaringly obvious was one of the reasons I left. What's unusual about their culture of denial, is the community's teachings, seniors, and guru all demand a high level of instrospection from individual members, which can be a good thing, but this demand for introspection is not translated to the community level. It's fine for seniors to analyse and have endless meetings about the short-comings of young members, but they completely avoid asking tough questions of themselves and about the nature of the community they're forming. This produces a type of cultural hypocracy: they philosophically criticse everyone in society, but they won't turn their critical eye upon their own community.

    It's a shame because their philosophy and way of life has so much to offer the world. There is so much to admire about them, but these issues are reducing their credibility as a genuine religion and making them fall into the category of a cult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Srila Prabhupada describes a particular phenomena in this world where you give a dog a bad name and then beat it.
    This sadly is a phenomena that often occurs when someone leaves the fold of the Hare Krishna movement.

    This is what I myself have seen play out: a person leaves without warning (someone who had an 'A+ rating' within the community), those who remain are certainly shocked, saddened, and disappointed at the loss of a friend and fellow member, but the person is now considered 'fallen' and socially off limits.
    Because the person is 'fallen' they cannot be afforded the same respect and friendship they were previously given. The person is left outcast whether they wanted that or not and feels the sting of rejection from the former friends and associates. Reeling from this sting, the former practitioner avoids all spiritual association, and those who remain proclaim that their former friend is now even deeper in illusion.
    Thus we have given a dog a bad name and beaten it.

    However, we know that this is not the way that Srila Prabhupada reacted when someone left. Instead he was genuinely concerned and lamentful when hearing of someones leaving.

    Mikey, I haven't met you before, but I am saddened by what has happened in the wake of your leaving. I am also grateful that you are sharing your heartfelt story and that you have the courage to do so.
    No-one is perfect, we all need to admit our mistakes, try to learn from them, and move forward. Thank you for such a brave and honest example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to clarify one point in your above statement - "Despite this, when I was sent a link last week to blog by a prominent Hare Krishna leader I was still struck with surprise, and a bit of hurt, to read just how this community has gone about dismissing me" - when you speak of "this community", it is not referring to the entire NZ Krishna community, but rather just the Wellington and Auckland "Loft" affiliates. Correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In general, yes I would say that is correct. Though, because the blog I was referring to is read and digested by devotees around the world, I would say that this community does extend beyond just Wellington and Auckland in a broader sense. But I would definitely say, I think I clarify it later somewhere, that I am specifically talking about the Krishna community I was involved with, which does not represent anything else going on in the wider Krishna/ISKCON world.

    ReplyDelete